COACH I – OBSERVATION/COACHING WITH TECHNICAL FEEDBACK
(ESTABLISHES BASELINE AFTER MANAGEMENT/ENGAGEMENT WORKSHOP AND COLLABORATIVE)
• Each cadre member will be visited for a 15-minute observation. The observer will be looking at student engagement, classroom management, and any preliminary use of the CLR strategies.
• The observer uses a Classroom Walk-Thru tool to be used for a post-observation discussion with the cadre member, if possible (requires coverage or scheduling during lunch, conference period, or after school). If not possible, then written feedback will be provided)
• We like to meet briefly with the administrator in charge or designated lead before and after the observations.
• The observer will need a map of the school, a bell schedule, a list of the room numbers of the cadre members
• The observer will do the observations alone. We find that teachers respond more positively and openly when we are alone.
• Upon leaving, the observer will need a list of the cadre members with their email addresses for a follow up correspondence
OPTIONAL MODEL DEMONSTRATION LESSON DAY
(To occur after a workshop in vocabulary, literacy, and language)
• CCRTL team will provide 1 to 3 on-site demonstration lessons, modeling CLR instructional strategies based around the 4 focus areas of instruction. The lessons are done in the cadre members’ classrooms only.
• The primary audience are the cadre teachers and other teachers who will most likely benefit from observing the demonstration lessons
• The first round of demos will take place in the 1 to 3 classrooms selected during step one of the cycle
• Each demonstration lesson last 45-60 minutes for 4-12 and 30-45 minutes for K-3.
• Included in the day is a pre-brief session (10-15 minutes), the demonstration lesson, a debrief session (30 minutes), and an optional lesson plan collaborative (preparation for step 3), if requested or possible.
• The CCTRL team will facilitate the entire day.
JUMP START WORKSHOP
You have attended the CLR foundational training and you are ready to VABB! You see the value of moving beyond traditional modes of teaching to be more culturally and linguistically responsive to your students. You want to jump in the CLR pool and perfect your strokes. Your mindset is there, but you are looking for additional support with your skill-set. For many teachers, the link between the CLR strategies (skillset) and the purpose (mindset) is foggy at first. The Jump Start Workshop is designed to help teachers with their use of the strategies through modeling and immersion. Teachers will learn how to use CLR strategies by doing them. The workshop also helps teachers begin to understand the WHY of the CLR strategies and how they can be used to validate and affirm cultural behaviors. Get ready to JUMP START your responsiveness!
COACH II - POST-LESSON PLANNING COLLABORATIVE CLASSROOM OBSERVATION, FOLLOWED BY COACHING WITH TECHNICAL FEEDBACK.
(To occur after model demonstration day in vocabulary, literacy, and language)
• Minimal substitute coverage needed (1-2 subs at maximum)
• All cadre members are observed by a CLR coach for 30-minutes on a specific lesson
• Coach debriefs with each cadre member individually or in small groups for 15-20 minutes after each observation (may need brief coverage depending on schedule)
• Copies of written observation notes are either given during the debrief or sent electronically to each cadre member, if a post-meeting is not possible